Saturday, August 14, 2010

Weigh in #29

One more week down,  They really are starting to run together.  One reason this blog has been so helpful is because it breaks my journey down into manageable chunks.  I can feel how by now without the blog everything would have become one long slog with my failures magnified and my successes minimized.  This is not to brag about the blog.  I just realized how luck I got with this format.  After so many years allowing one wrong step to turn me around completely I am both moving in the right direction consistently and taking the mistakes and setbacks in stride.  One week, one day, one meal at a time.  Here are the numbers:

Current Weight: 319 lbs
Starting Weight: 440.2 lbs
Weight Loss This Week: 4 lbs
Weight Loss Total: 121.2 lbs

Another great week.  Like I said last week the weight loss may be a pound or so higher than ideal, but I am a young guy and can probably absorb a few high weeks more easily than someone 10 or 20 years older.  Another blessing of starting now.  Those who are frequent readers may have noticed the same thing I am really excited about:  I have less than 100 pounds to my goal weight.  98.9 to be exact.  I thought about putting another line into my usual numbers about how many pounds remain to my goal, but I decided not to, and here is why.  That goal, 220.1 is an arbitrary number.  It sounds good, because it is exactly half of my starting weight, bu it was not devised with any medical advice or scientific knowledge.  It is on the border of the healthy weight/overweight line in the actuarial tables for my height, but I have a very large frame (when I grasp my wrist there is half an inch left between my thumb and forefinger), so it is probably a safe, healthy, sustainable weight for me.  Whether it is the right one is what I don't know, so I won't commit to it.  If I look and feel fantastic at 235, or if my body keeps going to 200 that is where I will stop.  This is all about health and I am starting to realize an arbitrary goal may get in the way.  From now on I will think of 220.1 as a median.  It is at or around where I should be, so that will be the placeholder.

In terms of more immediate goals I have three.  The first is 30% weight loss, or ~132.1, so I have less than 11 pounds to go for that.  Another is breaking 300.  That one is not much further off, probably two weeks past 30%, and I would really like to break 300 by opening of my show September 24th.  The last goal is a less quantifiable one, and I think that is a good thing for me.  Dance rehearsals have begun for the show, and in addition to boosting my numbers this week, they have shown I have a lot of work to do.  The dance is not that difficult.  It is a bit taxing, but well within my capabilities.  The difficulty is singing at the same time.  The core strength and breath management that takes is something I don't have right now. I am already doing crunches and leg lifts to improve my core strength, but I need ideas to help me improve my breath control during exertion.  Any of you with ideas on exercises please leave them as a comment.  It may be as simple as really pushing myself consistently and letting the strength build up, but I have a lot of friends who do a lot more musical theater than I do, so hopefully some of you have had similar needs in the past and can offer a solution.  Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chase! I've been doing a lot more core exercises too. I had a trainer for a bit, and he helped me with breathing when my heart rate was incredibly high from a huge workout (normally kickboxing). If you breathe in (to your lower diaphragm) and hold it for 3 seconds, then breathe out and wait 3 more seconds to inhale again, your heart rate slows down much faster, and it also helps train your breath to move deeper in your body. It also is safer for you than the shallow breathing your body WANTS to do, AND on top of all that, it helps your core muscles!

    For ANY exercise that you do, you have the option of completely tensing your core while you do it, which usually makes the exercises easier (even bicep curls or squats, when you think you don't need to use your core at all). It also tightens your core, of course, but you have to consciously put the effort into squeezing your core with all your might!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear that you are still chugging along! It's also very reassuring to read your understanding of how your goal weight may or may not be right for you. Your body will, of course, figure it out, but there may be some fluctuation down there at the bottom. You may hit a "skin and bones" phase where you feel really accomplished, then let yourself enjoy some party food or an old recipe now and then and bounce back up ten or so pounds. The important thing is that you are re-learning your eating and lifestyle habits so that no matter where you end up, you are still treating your body better and living a healthier life overall. We are very very proud of you and can't wait to see your progress at New Years (more than likely).
    -Aubs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a crazy idea for you. First work on the phrasing of the music and decide where your want to breath. Do this when you are relaxed so you can make purely musical decisions. Then get your heart and breath rate up by doing some bodyweight squats and push-ups. After that, go back to the music and try to sing it with your decided phrasing. Gradually work up the intensity over a few days until it matches or slightly exceeds the intensity of the dance.

    I'm sure your giving it your all in the rehearsals and thats going to help also. Good luck. Your mental toughness is really growing with this project. It's a pleasure to witness.

    ReplyDelete