Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Snack Time

For quite a while I have been looking for a new snack food to satisfy my inevitable after work hunger without breaking my calorie budget.  Not too long ago I had the chance to try edamame for the first time and discovered I quite like them.  On my next trip to Trader Joe's I got some frozen pods and have been enjoying them on a somewhat regular basis.  The combination of high fiber and great nutty taste really satisfies me and fills me up on 150-200 calories, which is the perfect snack size for me.  I have taken to dressing them with a bit of rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and salt when I want a flavored snack.  Do you have any ideas for other healthy snacks?  Burnout is always a risk when I find a healthy item I really like, because I lean on it for a big portion of my diet.  Extra avenues to explore would be great.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how you feel about cheese by itself, but sometimes I'll snack on some light brie or laughing cow cheese with maybe some carrots or celery or other raw green vegetables

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese is definitely my go to snack. I just have to be careful not to overdo it. I go with the hard white cheeses with more natural glutamate. That particular flavor attribute helps me feel full. I also go with carrots with hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the laughing cow cheese. Also - this is a bit more effort - but we got a juicer about two months ago and I LOVE it. Fresh juice is amazing, and a large glass can have about 200 calories? Not a lot of fiber, but a ton of vitamins.

    And almonds. I love snacking on almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all about the Fiber One bars. They have 140 calories and 35% of your daily fiber. The chocolate ones are like a candy bar! There's only 10 grams of sugar. Not too bad.

    ReplyDelete