Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weigh in #26 - Stopping In Centerville

Hello again to all.  It seems like I say it every week now, but this week has been a bit of an adventure.  It seems that as a side effect of my determination to make things happen, things are actually happening.  Who'd have thought?  I had two callbacks this past week and results were fantastic.  I can't fully say until next weekend how things have turned out, but I was given a choice that I had a very hard time with, and made one of the decisions I don't think I would have had the gumption to make before taking more control of my life.  Risk-taking and bold choices have been a weakness in my actor's toolbox, but in this instance I certainly put myself out on a ledge.  I turned down one roll to keep myself available for another, so it is all or nothing now, and all on me.  If it doesn't work out I will have no regrets, but I don't plan on letting that outcome happen.  By my next weigh in (which will mark 6 months since weigh in 1) I will know, so stay tuned.  Here are this week's numbers:

Current Weight: 328.4 lbs
Starting Weight: 440.2 lbs
Weight Loss This Week: 4 lbs
Weight Loss Total: 111.8 lbs

In the words of Sir Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, DFA "We Did It!" (Cue Balloon Drop).  As of yesterday I had lost over 25% of my starting body weight, and I am 50% of the way to my ideal weigh loss. For those of my Texan readers you will now see that the title is a reference to the town midway between Houston and Dallas, the town I always seem to have to stop in for one reason or another when on I-45. Today I hopped on the scale to find I had dropped an extra pound or so, which I will gladly take.  This week I again overshot my ideal weekly weight loss, this time by about a pound.  I am alright with it because I let myself relax a bit this week and my body did it naturally.  I didn't restrict my calories quite as much, I got in two good walks, and I let my body do its thing.  The results certainly speak for themselves. 

Over the last month I have identified two factors that really affect my results:  alcohol and lifting weights.  Whenever I drink alcohol, even a little, which is really all I have allowed myself in the last 6 months, I can guarantee that the next two days or so I will not lose weight.  I may not gain anything from one or two beers, but any adult beverage seems to hit the pause button on my metabolism.  Weight lifting has a similar effect, although hopefully for a better reason.  My body puts on weight very easily, but it seems that goes for both fat and muscle.  When I do a little lifting my weight loss slows, but pretty obviously because I am gaining muscle.  I have had a week where I lost very little, but all my clothes felt considerably more loose.  Now that I am aware of these effects I can use them strategically.  I can devote one week a month to gaining muscle and know that my weight loss may not be great.  It certainly makes it easier to accept poor numbers when you know you have made gains elsewhere.  Of course I could be wrong about all of this, but I don't think a little extra weight work once a month is ever going to be a bad thing. 

One more goal down.  The next big one is breaking 300, so I'd like to set a finish line for that one.  I think that by the end of September  I should get there.  I know I am looking forward to this goal because I found myself planning that blog post already.  It is going to take about 3 pounds a week to get there, which is right where I should be, but no matter how I do with this next goal I am on the back stretch now.

No comments:

Post a Comment