Saturday, May 29, 2010

Weigh in #18


This process has been rewarding and exciting, but at times it has been confusing and frustrating.  This is one of those weeks where life was truly a mixed bag.  As I mentioned Thursday I booked a gig, and that is fantastic.  It is a short piece for a theater festival and very stage combat intensive.  I will be portraying a sumo wrestler, or rikishi, and wearing the costume to match. 
That is scary, but in the role I feel okay about it.  The combat is so intensive, and works muscles I can rarely use when I am not dead lifting a grown man, that I have been sore for much of the week.  I am hoping the work in the show and my other exercise this week helped me build muscle, which would be a positive explanation for my less than stellar weight loss.  I have done nothing too much different this week than in other weeks, but I just haven't lost much weight.  This is the downside to setting weight goals like my 100 pound goal, because now I feel like I am behind the eight ball.  I should be concentrating on my health, and I know I have been healthy this week save a few imperfect choices.  I have eaten at home more, I made a great pot of my turkey chili, which is more rich in the good things I need to eat more of, like beans and peppers, than most of what I usually eat.  My hope is that my weight totals will catch up in the coming weeks because of the physical work I am doing now, but who knows.  I certainly would not have been able to do the part 6 months ago.  Here are this week's totals.

Current Weight: 359.4 lbs
Starting Weight: 440.2 lbs
Weight Loss This Week: 1.4 lbs
Weight Loss Total: 80.8 lbs

Less than two pounds is definitely a disappointment.  I suppose I have to keep my perspective, but I really want to hit my goal.  I did break 80 pounds this week, which is a very positive step.  In essence I have 4 full weeks to lose a little over 19 pounds.  I suppose I might as well include the extra week, but I will keep the goal where it is for now.  For those who didn't see on Thursday I have had to push back my 100 weight feast a week to July 3rd.  I have a performance and work on the 26th of June, so that weekend unfortunately will not work.

Ideas, Anyone?

Now for the challenge I laid out last week.  I saw a few responses from folks, but I want to hear some of your tactics.  What positive change did you make in the last week for your health?  I know I have seen one that I really liked, and that was Amy Vorpahl's challenge to herself to not eat after 8pm.  That is an issue for me as well.  Because some days I work as late as 11pm, and some days I cannot eat dinner until 8 or 9pm I cannot follow the letter of the challenge, but the spirit of it is something I have taken to heart.  I make sure to put everything away when I am done with dinner, especially if there are leftovers.  I brush my teeth early so I give my body the cue that eating is done for the day.  One other thing I did last night was to go out for a walk after I ate last night, because I did not get home until 8:30 and ate after that.  I didn't want to immediately get into a sedentary mode and have all of those calories stored as fat.  At least I kept my blood pumping long enough to hopefully get the food moving. 

But let's hear it!  I want your ideas so that I can make even more changes for the better.  Thanks in advance, and I will keep everyone updated on which ideas I have implemented in my life.

6 comments:

  1. When I really don't want to do push ups, I always challenge someone to a push-up contest. (Usually C.K.) Even though I know he'll always win, it gets me to do them. Have you tried getting another person involved??

    Your blog is really inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that it can be frustrating when the numbers don't do what you want them to, when you want them to. But I believe it is incredibly important to keep your focus on the process, and trust that the desired results will come. You're putting your body through some radical changes, and asking it to adjust to habits that (so far as I know) are completely outside of it's experience. You've made amazing progress, and should be proud of what you've accomplished and excited for what's yet to come, but some times its good to let the numbers be what they are and embrace the experience.

    Since you've asked what we have done for our health this last week, and since I'm excited about my training, I'll go into that a little bit. This past Wednesday, May 26, was day one of my four month training program for my next marathon. On September 26, I will run the Berlin Marathon. Berlin is said to have the fastest course in the world, and its where I will try to qualify for Boston. 3:10 is the goal, which breaks down to about 7:15 per mile for 26.2 miles. That's quite a bit faster than my previous best of 3:41, and I'm looking forward to the challenge. In order to get stronger and faster, I'm making adjustments to my workout routine, and my diet. Meats (other than seafood), beer, sweets, and even cheese are going to may a few rare appearances in my body over the next two months, and after that they'll be completely outlawed until the race. And my workouts are going to become more well rounded. In addition to lots of running, I'll do more lifting and I'm going to do a lot of swimming too. Anyway, I won't bore you with the entire plan, but I am excited about it.

    Keep up the great work. And keep writing about it. And because I love a great quote, I'll finish with one that I've applied to distance running and training, and that I believe can apply to any long and difficult journey.

    -Chris Coons


    "Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction." - William James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your progress has been amazing. I buy the theory that the the added stage combat slowed down the weight loss. The good thing is it probably increased the fat loss. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember, muscle weighs more than fat and there is always that cotton pickin' plateau. So happy you have that gig and the positive effect of taking part in your dream will all work out. Lots of fiber always helps. P & I are now eating whole wheat pasta the few times a month we have it. Vinegar and lemon juice are great, too, according to my doctor, and they do help with the urge to snack on sweet things. LYMTA, M&P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went on a kayak trip yesterday. It was really fun and I bet I burned a lot of calories. Can you find something unique to do that is exercise? Something fun and different? I know time and money are always factors, but a new activity will use different muscles and it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Chase! It's so wonderful to read your blog and hear that you are doing so well. You really do have a lot of determination and strength. Keep it up!

    As far as tips I've used/heard:
    1) with each meal drink a glass of water. It helps with making you feel full, getting your daily water intake in, and curbing your appetite so you don't overeat.
    2) Instead of a grain for your pasta, try using zuchinni/squash/etc. I think you use a grater to make the squash look like pasta (noodles), but without all the carbs. or you could mix some veggie pasta in with whole grain pasta.
    3) Make sure that you are eating enough and that your body isn't going into starvation mode so your metabolism doesn't go to a screeching halt. From what you post, I get the impression that you are mindful of the amount of calories you need to be taking in, but I guess a reminder doesn't hurt.

    Keep up the great work! You are the man! :)

    Sara Jo

    ReplyDelete